By Darren Tracy.
Dr. Ferguson’s Office Restoration Blog#1 10.29.17
- 10/6/17 – Learn of plans to possibly demolish 5 Culvert Street from AARCH (Adirondack Architectural Heritage) email.
- 10/10/17 – Contact Mayor Diamond asking if the demolition is a done deal, or if the City would entertain an offer to purchase. The mayor acknowledged that bids have been accepted to demolish the building but no contract has been awarded, stating the city would entertain an offer to sell instead of proceeding with demolition.
- 10/16/17 – My first impression was that this is a cute building but, too far gone to save. After carefully looking at the structure a half dozen times, I decided we could pull this off and made a purchase offer to the city. The mayor requested I meet with the city council to discuss the project.
- On 10/23/17, I met with the city council in a workshop format. Later that evening the council approved the sale.
- On 10/27/17 at 9:00 AM, the transfer of title took place. At 9:30 AM, work commenced. The goal is to stabilize the roof before winter, so more of the roof does not collapse and blow out the walls. Two trees that were crowding the building in the front were cut. Some of the debris around the exterior of the building was placed in a dumpster. The roof structure was assessed.
Dr. Ferguson’s Office Restoration Blog #2 11.7.17
The excitement of a new project has quickly faded and what remains is hard work. It’s always that way.
As I take a lunch break from cleaning out the interior and write this blog, the first snow of the season is falling on Glens Falls, reminding me of the long winter ahead that we all know too well. It is time to pick up the pace and make a push to button up the building before the white stuff piles up.
Since the last update, the following progress has been made:
- The roof condition was assessed. Not good. There is a big hole in the middle of the roof which has been funneling water to the interior. The original flat seam metal roof had evidently developed leaks and was covered by an asphalt roof which also developed leaks.
- I decided to install a temporary roof on top of the existing roof. Even though the middle of the roof was deteriorated badly, I was able to install new plates around the perimeter, then installed new rafters on top of the plates. I framed this in about 6 hours by myself. I would rather swing a hammer than a pencil and sad will be the day when I am only able to swing pencils. I know that day is coming (which relates to my theory about why people like old structures, but I digress and will save that story for another day).
- On top of the new framing and plywood roof deck, I installed a heavy duty 16 mil. tarp, which should keep the roof watertight for this winter.
- Bricks and mason sand were delivered today by local supplier, Duke Concrete Products.
- Interior continues to be cleaned out.